datapitstop » Grant County Government, Indiana » Veterans Affairs »Help/FAQDirectory
Brad Hodson
401 S Adams St Third Floor
Marion, IN 46953
(765) 651-2423 Fax: (765) 651-2422
Office hours: 8:00 am 1130 am - 12:30 pm 4:00 pm Monday-Friday
Explain about Dependents Education?
Educational assistance benefits are available to spouses who have not remarried and children of: (1) veterans who died or are permanently and totally disabled as the result of a disability arising from active military service; (2) veterans who died from any cause while rated permanently and totally disabled from service-connected disability; (3) service members listed for more than 90 days as currently missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force; (4) servicemembers listed for more than 90 days as currently detained or interned by a foreign government or power. Benefits may be awarded for pursuit of associate, bachelor's or graduate degrees at colleges and universities--including independent study, cooperative training and study-abroad programs. Courses leading to a certificate or diploma from business, technical or vocational schools also may be taken. Benefits may be awarded for apprenticeships, on-job-training programs and farm cooperative courses. Benefits for correspondence courses under certain conditions are available to spouses only. Secondary-school programs may be pursued if the individual is not a high-school graduate. An individual with a deficiency in a subject may receive tutorial benefits halftime or more. Deficiency, refresher and other training also may be available. Other benefits available under this program 1. Work study 2. Counseling services 3. Special benefits 4. Spina Bifida assistance Educational loans Loans are available to spouses who qualify for educational assistance. Spouses who have passed their 10-year period of eligibility may be eligible for an educational loan. During the first two years after the end of their eligibility period, they may borrow up to $2,500 per academic year to continue a full-time course leading to a college degree or to a professional or vocational objective which requires at least six months to complete. VA may waive the six-month requirement. Loans are based on financial need. Home loan guaranties A VA loan guaranty to acquire a home may be available to an unremarried spouse of a veteran or service member who has been officially listed as missing in action or as a prisoner of war for more than 90 days. Spouses of those listed as prisoners of war or missing in action are limited to one loan. Medals Medals awarded while in active service are issued by the appropriate service if requested by veterans or, if deceased, their next of kin.

Back Home