datapitstop » Grant County Government, Indiana » Veterans Affairs »Help/FAQDirectory
Brad Hodson
401 S Adams St Third Floor
Marion, IN 46953
(765) 651-2423 Fax: (765) 651-2422
Office hours: 8:00 am 1130 am - 12:30 pm 4:00 pm Monday-Friday
What are State Supported Benefits?
Remission of fees for the children of a disabled veteran The natural or legally adopted children of a disabled veteran may be eligible for remission of fees at any state-supported post secondary school or university in the State of Indiana. This applies regardless of the age of the child as long as the child is a resident of the state. The rules are: 1. The veteran must have served in active duty U.S. Armed Forces during a period of wartime. 2. The veteran must be declared to be disabled by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, or the Department of Defense (if the Department of Defense, the veteran must supply official documentation) even if the disability is 0% and non-compensatory. 3. The veteran received a Purple Heart Medal. (Official documentation of the award is required). 4. The veteran was a resident of Indiana at the time of entry into the service and was declared a POW or MIA after Jan 1, 1960. 5. The student was a veteran related pupil at the Indiana Soldiers and Sailors Children's Home. The remission of fees is good for 124 semester hours of education and may be used for either undergraduate or graduate level work. Ref: IC 20-12-19-1 and IC 10-5-16.5-3. Property tax abatements Property tax deductions are available to disabled Hoosier Veterans under the following conditions: 1. A $12,480.00 abatement is available to veterans who: 1. Served at least 90 days of honorable service 2. Are totally, (not necessarily service-connected but the disability must be evidenced by a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs pension certificate) OR 3. Are at least 62 years old and 10% service-connected disabled. 2. A $24,960.00 abatement is available for veterans who: 1. Served honorably in the Armed Forces during any period of wartime. 2. Are at least 10% service connected disabled. 3. A $37,440.00 tax abatement is available for any veteran who: Served honorably during any period of wartime. OR Is at least 62 years old and have a 10% or under age 62 with 100% service connected-disabled. The surviving spouse of the veteran is eligible for the veterans tax exemption. The spouse must apply in his or her own name. Ref: IC6-1.1-12-14 and IC 6-1.1-12-15. Peddlers, vendors, or hawkers license State law provides that any wartime veteran who has an honorable discharge shall be granted these licenses by all cities and counties free of charge. Ref IC-25-25-2-1 (IC 25-25-2-3 Exempts any county having a consolidated city from this rule). Hoosier veteran license plates Any resident of the state who was honorably separated from the active Armed Forces can purchase a Hoosier veteran license plate. Disabled veteran license plates: Disabled veteran plates are the same as wheelchair plates in the state of Indiana. These are strictly to those individuals who have a serious mobility impairment due to a service-connected disability. The Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs must verify the veteran's eligibility. Ref: IC 9-18-18-1, IC 9-18-18-2, IC 9-18-18-3 Ex-prisoner of war plates The POW license plate is available to all ex-prisoners of war or to the surviving spouse of a deceased POW. The Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs must verify the eligibility of the applicant. Ref: IC 9-18-17-1. Purple heart plates Any Hoosier Veteran who has received the purple heart medal is authorized to have these special license plates. The veteran must present official documentation of the award, and the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs must verify the veteran's eligibility. Ref: IC9-18-19-1, IC 9-18-19-2, IC 9-18-19-3.

Back Home